Why: Recent events have driven me to research emotional displays in the virtual workspace, and whether they are or can be career-killers, career-boosters or somewhere in between.
What: Putting together the answers to these questions and many more:
- How much are you risking in a virtual world if your emotions are on display in a teleconnected meeting?
- How do you manage the employee who’s crying, screaming, melting down in a virtual meeting?
- How different are men and women both in displaying and managing their emotions in a wholly networked environment?
- How can you tell if someone’s nearing an emotional outburst in a teleconference? Should you let it happen? Can you avoid it, and do you want to?
- When’s the best time to display emotion? To downplay it? To ignore someone else’s? To embrace it?
How: By drawing conclusions from research on:
- Emotional communication in the workplace.
- Emotional communication online and over video, voice and text.
- Gendered emotional communication.